Shadow Effect In Silverlight 5

Jun 1, 2011 at 6:17 AM
Edited Jun 1, 2011 at 7:23 AM

Hi,

this babylon engine demo is really impressive : http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/Babylon-3D-engine-f0404ace

esspecially the shadow effect

i've already look all over the engine + toolkit source (including the vertex shader, pixel shader ..) , but i haven't found anything about that

can you show me where it is?

Coordinator
Jun 1, 2011 at 6:57 AM

Hi Snake,

the shadows in the babylon engine are baked in the textures. There is no realtime shadows (for the moment) in babylone engine.

Jun 1, 2011 at 7:32 AM

i guess i've to wait till silverlight 5 support RenderTarget to do realtime shadowing things.

thank you

Developer
Jun 1, 2011 at 7:39 AM

Exactly !

When next beta is out (hopefully with RenderTargets), we'll try to add multiple things to the toolkit, such as LightMap rendering helpers, LightMap aware effects, and other cool things (nothing for sure, but I'll try to build a basic deferred rendering engine on top of that, for scenes with many dynamic lights).

Coordinator
Jun 1, 2011 at 8:07 AM
We will post a small roadmap to give some hints on what’s comingSourire
Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 8:39 AM
To: [email removed]
Subject: Re: Shadow Effect In Silverlight 5 [babylontoolkit:259720]

Exactly !

When next beta is out (hopefully with RenderTargets), we'll try to add multiple things to the toolkit, such as LightMap rendering helpers, LightMap aware effects, and other cool things (nothing for sure, but I'll try to build a basic deferred rendering engine on top of that, for scenes with many dynamic lights).

Jun 22, 2011 at 12:16 PM

You can currently use stencil for shadow volumes for shadowing. Works like a charm.